Saturday, May 1, 2010

Town History

History of our town is something that I absolutely love.  I can be one of those people where if it doesn't effect me why do I care.  Our town history is something that effects me and is very interesting. (in my opinion)

Here's what I know so far.

  • The white 2 story building on the corner of the Triangle currently holding apartments was once the Waukee Hotel and had a 3rd floor.
  • The little yellow cute looking building on the side of the current Waukee Elementary building was once the school house until 1917 when the brick building was built. It had a 2nd floor and bell tower.
  • The building that everyone knows as W.E. was built in 1917 and has been added onto 4 numerous times.  Until the 70's or so the Middle school, High school, and Elementary school was all in that building.  None of them were connected together like they are now.  They all had seperate entrances.
  • The old St. Boniface catholic church (that I attend) has a full basement underneath that is very mysterious.  It now houses the Area Art Council.
  • Evidently the 4th floor offices at W.E. are haunted, if you believe that. (I threw that in for kicks)
As you can tell this is something I'm very interested in.  If you know anything else about any of these topics or Waukee History in general or have any questions please let me know!

By the way a lot of my stuff comes from the Waukee Website.  Here is an interesting photo album.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!