Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Digging Deeper Into ITEC 2010

About 1 week ago I attended & presented at the #ITEC10 conference in Coralville,IA. This was my 1st conference of any type that I attended or presented at.  I am planning on going next year.

When I 1st arrived at ITEC the hotel was bigger than I in pictured.  It was a very nice Marriott attached to a convention center that also seemed quite big.  One of the 1st people I saw when I arrived was Mrs. Goerend.  When Molly (co-presenter) & I were walking down the hall to our room before lunch we passed about 5 BIG rooms that could hold 100-200 people.  That was really scary because I thought there were only 7 total presenters per day.  I also started to think that Mr. Goerend was lying (just to make us less nervous) about the size of our room being small.

We (Molly & I) met up with Mr. G and went to lunch, which by the way, was too fancy for my liking.  Also to my squandering knowledge of conferences there was a vendor hall with 75+ vendors.  That was my favorite part.  Somehow every single one of them heard that I was coming and brought plenty of chocolate candy.

As people were entering our conference and we were in the room I was talking with people I knew because I had to occupy myself so I wouldn't be nervous.  Once we got past the 1st 2 slides everything went great!

On the beginning slides I forgot to mention some of my "roll playing" and why they were something to have on a blog.  The discussions that we had planned to be 2-3 minutes long were easily 7-10 minutes long.  There was lots of great discussion and @mctownsley was tweeting out some memorable quotes.  I also met a person that went to high school with my principal.  at the end of the presentation after our thankings and resources slide there was a "surprise" public thanks to Mr. G for helping us do all this.

That night I had 30+ Twitter mentions and had 2 quotes on @angelamaiers top 10 quotes list.

At the end of this I realized 3 things. 1.I LOVE conferences!!  2.I accidentally took the spotlight for most of it leaving Molly on the edge a bit. and 3.I am coming to this next year!

In case you'd like to get some insight of what I'm talking about here is the set of slides we used.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!