I am making generalizations of the people involved in Waukee Middle Schools transition.
A majority of parent's don't support it:
- It's hard to see their child's overall understanding of the subject.
- How will they transition into high school?
- How do you know your GPA?
A majority of students don't support it:
- It doesn't give them anything to strive for.
- Now: "I want to get an A in Science and a 4.1 GPA"
- Future "I want to get an S in writing multiple stanza poems"
- It will be difficult to see what my grades are at any point.
- It helps them serve individual students better.
- They can reteach as needed to those that need it.
- They can sort their students by understanding of topics.
It would be like me, buying a 1st generation iPhone and never buying one again because I didn't like it. I need to realize that Apple has changed lots of things in the past 5 years and I should try it again.
So, stop comparing this to what is happening in elementaries, because we're not in elementary anymore.